Super Bowl Cupcakes


Today’s cupcake toppers are in celebration of this weekend’s Super Bowl. I wanted to finish the toppers early so I could share the tutorial before the weekend. I'm not a huge sports fan, but usually watched the Super Bowl - at least for the commercials. Several years ago, I actually joined a fantasy football league that my dad and brother-in-law were in because they had an uneven number and were just going to make a fake team otherwise.  They joked that I would do about as well as the fake team, so I decided I had to join and prove them wrong.  I knew basically nothing about football, but to all the guys' surprise - I won!  That Super Bowl they attended their party in pink shirts I made that said "I Got Beat By a Girl in Fantasy Football." To be honest, I can't remember what teams were playing that year, but it was the best Super Bowl ever.  

I may not be in a fantasy football team this year, or bringing shirts to make the guys wear, but we are planning to go to a party this weekend.  That was as much of an excuse as I needed to make some fondant toppers.  I'm currently job hunting, which can be exhausting, so I like to take a break and do something fun. Hopefully the cupcakes will be a hit at the party (no pun intended). I'm planning on covering the cupcakes with green buttercream icing made to look like grass (using the Wilton 233 tip) and placing the football and logos on top. 

The only thing left to decide is the flavor of the cupcake.  I've made chocolate ones a lot lately, and am trying to think of a fun, festive flavor.  I'd love to hear your suggestions!  Let me know what your pick for a Super Bowl cupcake flavor would be.  You can leave a message here or on my Facebook page.  I'll post some pics after the party and let you know which flavor was chosen.

Below are my tutorials for the various toppers.  I started out doing better taking pictures, but got into it and slacked off again.  But, I've got enough that you can get the idea of the steps. Enjoy!

San Fransisco 49er Cupcake Toppers:

  • Print several copies out of the 49er’s logo and cut out different parts.


  • Roll out black fondant to 1/16 in.
  • Cut out the largest shape from the black fondant with an Exacto knife using the print-out as a guide.


  • Dye fondant gold (mixture of yellow, brown, black, and white) and roll out to 1/16 in.
  • Cut out the middle shape of the gold fondant with an Exacto knife using the print-out as a guide.
  • Cover the back of the gold piece with gum paste and stick to the black fondant.
  • Dye fondant maroon and roll out to 1/16 in.
  • Cut out the smallest shape of the maroon fondant.

 

  • Cover the back of the maroon piece with gum paste and stick to the gold fondant.
  • Roll out white fondant paper thin.
  • Cut out the SF shape and attach to the maroon fondant with gum glue.


  • Mark the outline of the SF with a black edible marker.




Baltimore Ravens Cupcake Toppers:
  • Print several copies out of the Raven’s logo and cut out different parts.
  • Roll out gold fondant (same coloring as before) to 1/16 in.
  • Cut out the largest shape from the gold fondant.


  • Dye fondant purple and roll out to 1/16 in.
  • Cut out the smaller raven shape of the purple fondant.
  • Cover the back of the purple piece with gum paste and stick to the gold fondant.
  • Dye white fondant and roll out paper thin.
  • Cut out beak shape and small circle for the eye.
  • Attach the beak and eye to the purple piece with the gum paste.
  • Roll out the fondant paper thin.
  • Cut out the "B" shape from the gold fondant and attach with gum paste.
  • Mark the lines of the beak, pupil of the eye, and additional details with the black edible marker.



Football Cupcake Topper:

  • Dye fondant brown for the football, with a mixture of brown and copper.
  • Roll fondant into ball and shape sides to make a football.
  • Roll out white fondant into long thin rolls.
  • Attach to sides of football with gum glue.
  • Cut three small pieces of the white fondant to make the stitch marks on football.


Popular Posts