Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


When I was four years old, a little boy at my preschool asked me to marry him. I said no for a perfectly logical reason - he liked raisins. Apparently in my mind that was the worst thing ever! Apparently I've matured a bit, I married someone who likes raisins. But, I never started liking the dried fruit. Because of that, I've never enjoyed the classic oatmeal raisin cookie. In fact, I've been sorely disappointed a few times with sneaky oatmeal raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip!

The other day, though, we were at the grocery and a certain oatmeal cookie caught my eye - oatmeal butterscotch. I knew I had to try them as soon as I saw them, I absolutely love butterscotch! I was kicking myself for not having thought of it. I've experimented with chocolate chip cookie recipes by adding other types of candy in for the chocolate chips (such as these Andes Mint cookies). But, I've never thought of replacing the raisins in oatmeal cookies!

Since I hadn't made oatmeal cookies before, I decided to use the recipe from Quaker Oats. The cookies turned out great, I can't wait to make them again!

Oatmeal Butterscotch cookie ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
  • 3/4 brown sugar
  • 1/4 sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
Oatmeal Butterscotch cookie directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Cream together butter and both types of sugar
  • Mix in eggs and vanilla and beat until combined
  • Mix together dry ingredients (flour, soda, cinnamon, salt) in a separate bowl
  • Add dry mixture to the dough and beat until completely incorporated
  • Mix in oats and beat until completely combined
  • Fold in butterscotch chips
  • Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper
  • Place tablespoon size balls of of dough on parchment paper
  • Bake for 10 mins
  • Cool on rack
I hope you enjoy this twist on a classic cookie recipe!



Popular Posts