Homemade Egg Noodles


Most everyone seems to have a dish that is their definition of comfort food. Maybe it's mashed potatoes, chicken pot pie, mac and cheese; whatever makes you feel nostalgic and sentimental when eating it. For me, it is chicken noodle soup. Specifically chicken noodle soup with my Grandma's homemade noodles.

My Grandma lived several hours away and we didn't get to see her real often, but each year we got to to spend time with her at Thanksgiving. She was always a very good cook, but my most memorable dish of hers was definitely her homemade noodles. We would gladly take back bags of frozen noodles that would last us until our next visit. The egg noodles were the perfect size and texture, and full of delicious flavor. I can't tell you how many noodles of hers I have eaten, but I never got tired of them!

My Grandma passed away a few years ago. Since I have gotten more involved in cooking, I've been wanting to try my hand at continuing the noodle making. I didn't have her exact recipe, but I found one that looked and sounded similar. In the absence of her noodles, we had been using a type of frozen noodles. They are close, but not quite the same. This recipe specifically called out the brand of frozen noodles, so I knew I was on the right track.


All in all, I was very pleased with how the noodles came out. They weren't a perfect replica, but it was the closest I've had! I didn't get them quite thin enough, I was thinking 1/8 instead of 1/16. I would also do them a bit thinner if you are putting them in soup. The noodles I made were a bit big, maybe better suited for using in a non-soup noodle dish.

Egg Noodles ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
Egg Noodles instructions:
  • Whisk dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking powder)

  • In a spearate bowl, whisk eggs until well beaten


  • Pour beaten eggs into flour mixture while it is on low speed (should look like cornmeal once incorporated) 


  • Slowly beat in milk using dough hook to knead it - should take around 5 mins (beat until firm and smooth)
  • Dump dough out onto plastic wrap, cover up, and let rest 30-45 mins


  •  Roll out to 1/16th in on a floured surface


  •  Cut strips to around 1/2 in wide (for soup, I might do somewhere between 1/4-1/2 in)


  •  Cut strips based on how long you want, around 2 inch long

  • If using right away, let dry while bringing pot of broth (or water) to a boil. If freezing to use later, let dry completely 1-2 hours before wrapping up and refrigerating/freezing.
Hope you enjoy these delicious, homemade noodles!

Popular Posts