Pumpkin Roll


It's that time of year when you can't go anywhere without being inundated with pumpkin. From M&M's to coffee to Pop-Tarts, pumpkin is everywhere! It seems like a seasonal rite of passage to enjoy pumpkin in some form or other. I'm not one of the first people to run out and grab a pumpkin spice latte, but I enjoy the occasional treat. My favorite way to enjoy pumpkin is paired with cream cheese. Last year, I made some tasty Snickerdoodle Cookie Cups with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing.
These tiny treats have a long name and are packed with delicious Fall flavors!

I decided to try another pumpkin treat again this Fall. Since I love cream cheese and pumpkin, a pumpkin roll seemed like the perfect choice! I hadn't made a cake roll before, and I've been wanting to try my hand at one for a while. There are so many delicious cake roll ideas out there! I definitely want to try a red velvet cake roll for Christmas.

When looking for a recipe, I decided to try Trisha Yearwood's version. I made a few adjustments, but the recipe is pretty close to the one found on her Food Network page.

Pumpkin Roll ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla 
  • Optional: pecan or walnuts
Pumpkin Roll instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Mix together the wet eggs, sugar, and pumpkin until smooth
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder
  • Add the dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture
  • Mix until just combined
  • Grease a 17 1/2 in by 12 1/2 in jellyroll pan
  • Spread the batter unto the jellyroll pan (optional: sprinkle with pecans or walnuts)
  • Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, around 14 mins
  • Let cake cool for 5 mins
  • Cover a cake rack with plastic wrap
  • Sprinkle powdered sugar on plastic wrap
  • Invert cake onto the plastic wrap
  • Carefully roll up the cake in the plastic wrap
  • Completely cover with wrap and then refrigerate for at least 45 mins
  • Mix cream cheese, vanilla, butter, and powdered sugar until smooth
  • Unroll the cake
  • Spread cream cheese mixture onto cake
  • Reroll and cover in wrap
  • Chill until ready to serve
  • Sprinkle powdered sugar on the roll

The result was delicious! I've decided to make this dessert for our family Thanksgiving dinner.

Popular Posts